Friday, May 27, 2011

Paper is Temporary but Decisions are Forever

In the middle of Prague there exists a place called the "lock bridge". People from all over the world come to place a lock on a gate symbolizing their ties to each other. So, naturally my roommate and I, being complete innovators (to say the most), decided to create a list of all the lessons we have learned and lock a tiny piece of paper to a barbed wire fence; in hopes that we will not forget the greatest aspects of this journey.
The paper reads as follows:
I will not lose my soul in a relationship
I will not live my life according to other's standards
I will embrace the past and learn from it
I will not forget those who have helped me, even if they have wronged me
I will give up control when I need to
I will not blame others for my decisions even if they are mistakes
I will open my heart up to different perspectives and learn from them
I will love myself even through the bad
I will accept everyone even if I don't understand their motives (but I will not be naive)
I will help others even through their imperfections
I will have compassion for others despite their imperfections
I will see the beauty in all
I will not resent those who have wronged me (or mocked me)
I will live in the moment but realize the future
I will open myself up to love even if I get hurt
I will not unnecessarily over analyze
I will always follow my heart and listen to my inner voice
I will not expect myself or others to be perfect
I will accept and embrace CHANGE

God made me a good person, even though I am imperfect. I know how to make mistakes and I will continue to; but I will not let them pass by like a flake in the wind. I will learn. I know that I must embrace the past and not deny myself any emotion. Although, I will allow myself to think before I act on said emotions. Everyone needs people, even if we don't want to admit it. And although they may break our hearts, nothing should be out of forgiveness' reach.

Life is a difficult, heart weighing, frightful and beautiful thing. Enjoy it, for nothing compares.

No comments:

Post a Comment