Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Grudge

I was given the opportunity to visit a concentration camp built in the Czech Republic a few days ago. The name "Terezin", still sends a ghostly haunt down my spine. While visiting both the "burned-down" city as well as the camp, I found myself sitting in an interview with a woman who survived the Holocaust. The only thing I could remember, aside from tragic events, was her positive, radiating energy.

I thought.

We all carry grudges; whether big or small, "smart" or dumb. We cling to them as if our lives depended on remembering that one crime, done to us, that someone "got away with". We sue, we gossip, we scream, we blame, we cry, we get revenge. We HATE.

This woman was able to live through what most of us could never imagine, and yet, she sees light. Not only that, she sees the beauty in people that beat her, that literally harmed her, that took from her something she could never get back: her relationships, her family, her life. Still, she blames noone; she holds no deathly emotions toward any person.

I believe its true when they say "love sets you free". It can help the lonely, the poor, the angry, the hurt.

Again, to my point: holding a grudge in life is like creating an obstacle course for yourself. We will never find happiness if we don't let go of what and, the inevitable "why", things happen to us.

Life without love, is not life at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment